As of 2022, TikTok has more than 1.5 billion monthly active users and more than 3 billion app downloads globally.
That means that there’s a good chance that a lot of your friends are actively using it, and there are big business opportunities abound! But the first step is sometimes the hardest… choosing a username.
How do you know what TikTok usernames are taken?
TikTok won’t allow you to take a username already in use, so one of the easiest and most reliable ways to validate whether a username is taken is to try to claim it on TikTok.
When you first sign up, TikTok will randomly assign you a long and complicated username from the personal name you provide, plus a bunch of numbers.
To change your username, or to validate whether the username you want is taken or not, go to your profile page and click “edit profile”. Click to the “username” field, and type in the new username that you would like to claim. If the username is available, you will be able to confirm it, and if not you will get an error message and have to choose a new name.
Alternatively, you can search for usernames to see if there is an active account by visiting https://www.tiktok.com/@[UsernameThatYouWant]
How to choose a TikTok username for brands
1.5 billion users means that a LOT of usernames are already taken. If you’re just now signing your brand up for TikTok, chances are that your brand name is already in use. Here are a few ideas for spinning your brand-name to create a unique TikTok handle:
- Add “official” to the title, such as BrandNameOfficial or OfficialBrandName
- Add your TLD to the handle, like BrandCom or BrandOrg
- If there is one specific “face of the account”, you can combine their personal name with the brand name like AnnieBrand
- Add your business entity type to your brand name, like BrandInc or BrandLLC
How to choose a personal TikTok username
Creating a unique and personal TikTok username should be fun, not stressful. Here are a few ideas you can try to generate a fun and unique username for a personal account:
- Use our first and last name
- Personalize your handle with your birth year or a number that is significant to you
- Try using the same handle that you use on Instagram or other social media platforms
- If you are making a TikTok to share something specific, like fitness or crafting, use that as inspiration
- Use a play on words or a pun involving your name or your hobby
- Use an acronym or initial to personalize your handle
- Mash together all of these different ideas until you find something that feels right!
Things to avoid when you choose your TikTok handle
There are a few common mistakes that people make when choosing their TikTok handle. Here are a few things to avoid as you brainstorm your username:
- Usernames that are longer than three words
- Usernames that are hard to spell
- Usernames that have too many numbers that are ambiguous and difficult to understand (ie, myname179120912)
- Usernames that don’t relate to the content you’re planning on posting about
How often can you change your TikTok username?
You can change your TikTok handle once every 30 days, so it’s not the end of the world if you pick a username and then change your mind.
Picking the perfect handle can feel like a big undertaking, but with a little creativity and some trial and error, you’ll find something that perfectly suits your personality. With these tips in mind, you should be able to find the perfect TikTok handle for you.